I Guess I Do

 photo PRESS_zps60f7d5cf.png  photo ADVERTISE_zps8e385a24.png  photo IGUESSIMDUE_zpsba13f561.png  photo IGUESSIMDUE_zpsba13f561.png

Monday, September 30, 2013

One Year Anniversary

We were kids when we got together. Look at those baby fat faces (Alright, so maybe just mine.) It's crazy to think how long ago that was. 

13 years ago today was our first date, and along with that, today we celebrate our first year of marriage. We're very different people now then we were back then. But that's why I feel our relationship has survived, because it changed as we changed too. 

But it wasn't always easy. We broke up in college and we did things that hurt each other. They weren't intentional, but we did. It took my grandma's death to make me realize that in times of need, you find out who matters to you most. And for me that was Kyle. 

Many people say, "Oh high school sweethearts, how perfect!" But it wasn't perfect. It was a lot of work, but it was a lot of work we were both willing to put in. Not just looking at was wrong with the other, but looking at how we could better improve ourselves. 

Me - I needed to stop nagging Kyle for everything he wasn't, and start complimenting him for everything he was. I'm a pretty harsh person when it comes to standards - I set them really high, some may say unattainable. And I needed to stop holding Kyle to them, and start giving him the one thing every girlfriend and wife should give - support.

Not going to lie - After having an amazing wedding weekend, our first year of marriage started out rough. 

Straight off our plane from Bora Bora, I was in the Torrance ER for a blood clot in my leg. (Just wait until my post with the pictures. You'd mistake my leg for Mama June's.) Our first month of marriage was spent with Kyle giving me shots in my stomach twice a day, while dealing with major issues at his work as well. 

A house, a dog, and twelve months later, I can sit here and say that there has never been a year that I have relied on Kyle more. Those standards I set years ago? He's far exceeded them and he did so own his own. And more than anything, whether I've need it personally or professionally, this year he has undoubtedly always given me the one thing I've needed more than anything - support

This post is dedicated to him - my spontaneous dance partner. my fellow car singer. my favorite couch potato. my love. 

Here's to many more...




4 comments:

  1. Marriage certainly takes work but it is so worth it at the end of the day. My husband and I got our marriage" test" only hours after we said " I do". As I was rushed to the trauma bay and into emergency surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marriage certainly takes work but it is so worth it at the end of the
    day. My husband and I got our marriage" test" only hours after we said "
    I do". As I was rushed to the trauma bay and into emergency surgery. Being a bride is dangerous these days! Here's to many more years of happiness & health for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always something right? Thanks for the well wishes Jodi!

    ReplyDelete